Sunday, September 8, 2013

D&D 30 Day Challenge: Day 8 – Favorite Character I Have Played

Quinzel was the female jester I played in my brother’s Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk campaign. She was inspired in no small part by Harley Quinn from the Batman Animated Series, and
This being 3.5, Quinzel was a bard with the jester prestige class, which meant she could use the spell Tasha’s hideous laughter a few times a day, and she could play the flute. But she had a rod of wonder (for OSR people better known as a wand of wonder), and that magic item is awesome. Quinzel would yell ‘Fireball!’ whenever she used the rod, and enjoyed watching the monsters dodge out of the way of a stream of butterflies.

Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk makes use of some famous or high-profile places and NPCs. Quinzel performed at the Green Dragon Inn, and made fun of Damaris and Lord Robilar (and got away with it).

In the dungeons deep beneath the Greyhawk Ruins, she had to fight an Evil version of herself from an alternate reality. She lost, and the Evil Doppelganger took her place. I played the rest of the adventure as a Quinzel of LE alignment.

In the short-lived 4E campaign my brother ran, I played Quinzel again. I figured, if she had changed places with an Evil Quinzel of another world, this was that other world. I played her for one adventure, but in 4E, it just wasn’t the same.

After that, I made up a new world for Quinzel to live in. I was planning on using her in a novel, but after a few false starts I ended up writing another story, in which she didn’t appear. Quinzel stayed imprisoned in Limbo for a while, and I decided to make that part of the character.

So now Quinzel is a NPC. The wandering between worlds has driven her mad. She has become a disciple of the Lords of Misrule, powerful demon lords that destroy world after world. Quinzel looks for suitable worlds to destroy and leads her demonic mentor to them, all Silver Surfer-like.

Quinzel will make an appearance in the series Faces of Pretomournon, here on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment