Friday, September 20, 2013

D&D 30 Day Challenge: Day 20 – My Favorite Humanoid or Fey


I went for a monstrous humanoid with this one. I think my love for the harpy comes from reading Ronja Rövardotter by Astrid Lindgren as a kid. The “bird-witches” in that book scared the hell out of me. They wanted to claw out your eyes, how terrifying is that!

Either that, or  The Golden Fleecing by Carl Barks.

Originally, in ancient mythology harpies where beautiful women with wings. Only later they were mixed up with sirens, and became ugly bird-women. I tried to design a harpy that can be both, and in the Weird Opera world beautiful harpies with colorful feathers exist. No matter how beautiful, however, all harpies are evil bird-witches that want to claw out your eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment