Monday, September 16, 2013

D&D 30 Day Challenge: Day 16 – Favorite Aberration



The first issue of Dragon Magazine I bought had “The Ecology of the Gibbering Mouther”. It was the first time I encountered AD&D’s brand of weirdness, after being exposed to the Tolkienesque fantasy of Das Schwarze Auge. I liked the creature ever since, even though I can’t remember ever using it. I don’t know any published adventures that use a Gibbering Mouther, but this post inspired me: Lost Library of the Deathspeakers will have one.

5 comments:

  1. In the Conan story "The Scarlet Citadel" by Robert E. Howard, he runs into something similar. Very creey and scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only a small part of one of the best stories he wrote. But it is arguably the creepiest thing he runs into in the entire story.

      Delete
  2. There was a horrible 3E adventure called The Speaker in Dreams (horrible because it was badly written, not because it was 3E) that had a gibbering mouther as one of the encounters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I have that one! Obviously, it didn't leave much of an impression.

      Delete